“In three years time, desktops will be irrelevant. In Japan, most research is done today on smart phones, not PCs,”
-Google European Director of online sales, John Herlihy
“As we compared ourselves to every other company in the world, including Sony, Nokia, and Samsung … We found out that we were the largest mobile company in the world measured by revenue. So yes, you should look at Apple as a mobile device company,”
–Tim Cook, Apple CEO
Even in the US 25 percent of mobile Web users are mobile-only.
1) SMS is the king of mobile messaging 8 trillion text messages were sent in 2011.
A2P – application to person SMS e.g. automated alerts from banks, offers from retailers, m-tickets is expected to overtake person to person SMS in 2016.
With US$2.5 billion in annual mobile ad revenues Google is the main recipient of mobile ad spend.
- There are 6.8 billion people on the planet. 5.1 billion of them own a cell phone, but only 4.2 billion own a toothbrush.
- More people will access the internet via mobile than wire line broadband by 2015.
- Over 6 billion text messages are exchanged every day in the US.
- In May, 2003 the entire U.S. sent 300 million texts. Today we send nearly 2 billion a day.
- This year there will be $119 billion transactions conducted over the mobile device.
- Another $153 ~$230 billion in traditional sales in the U.S. alone will be influenced by mobile devices.
- Somewhere between 10% and 15% of all brick-and-mortar and ecommerce sales will be influence by mobile.
- There are 8 media channels in mobile including SMS, MMS, Email, IVR (voices), Content, Mobile Web, Proximity and applications.
- Mobile is the first medium that consumes all the media that comes forth.
- Mobile is the one medium that coexists at all times with consumers. It’s the one medium we can use to digitally engage and interact with consumer directly.
It takes 26 hours for the average person to report a lost wallet. It takes 68 minutes for them to report a lost phone. (Source: Unisys)
It takes 90 minutes for the average person to respond to an email. It takes 90 seconds for the average person to respond to a text message.
Mobile coupons get 10 times the redemption rate of traditional coupons. (Source: Borrell Associates)
91% of all U.S. citizens have their mobile device within reach 24/7. (Source: Morgan Stanley)